Friday, July 13, 2012

Janice Rieves "Ripe" Mirror 7-13-12

“Ripe” Mirror
Janice Rieves
24 1/2 x 36", Ceramic, Glass
$425

This jeweled mirror which I named "Ripe" for obvious reasons is a continuation of an exploration of a form or variation of form. For years, I have been drawn to exploring the enclosed organic form in the shape of a chrysalis, bud or womb. The idea of an outer form enfolding and protecting something precious and full of potential within, yet still gestating or sometimes just unfolding, has compelled me into expressing this thought in many mediums. 

About five years ago, I cut the form for the mirror out of plywood, not really knowing what direction I wanted to go with it. I just wanted to look at a fat, juicy shape and let it speak to me. Well, it was pretty quiet for all those years, not much to say. Then I discovered "crash glass".  I collected some fractured auto glass left behind by a car accident. I think I must be part raven, because I am attracted to shiny bits, especially when most people consider them trash. Apparently, that was the catalyzing piece, because everything else flowed together after that. I had major fun painting the background that the glass is adhered to. I wanted to convey a sense of ripeness, juicyness and fullness. I think the glass beads do a nice job with that with their fruity colors and shiny surfaces. This is a piece that comes ALIVE with some sun shining on it (as most of my glass pieces do).                  ~ Janice Rieves

No comments:

Post a Comment