Saturday, July 14, 2012

Mary Brookins - Ironweed 7-14-12

“Ironweed”
Mary Brookins
Pressed Flower Art, 2 ¾ x 6 ¾” Framed
$12

           I've always loved flowers and so finding a way of preserving them was a natural progression.  I pick the flowers from our gardens or from the roadside, the only criteria being that I think they would look good pressed, whether they are flowers or weeds.  I then press them for at least six weeks either in presses my husband has made or in phone books.  I then try to arrange them in somewhat of a natural way.  I'm still learning which flowers press well and which keep their colors.  I continue to experiment with different mediums in which to display them such as cards, pictures, candles or bookmarks.   Who knows what will come next?  I just really enjoy doing it and hopefully other people will like what I create.                                                                       ~ Mary Brookins

2 comments:

  1. Mary, these are lovely--the name 'ironweed' conjures up something quite opposite the delicacy of this plant. Might you instruct a class on drying of flora?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Mary's pressed flower art! I purchased several little frames as gifts for some very special people on a recent trip. Everyone was delighted!

    ReplyDelete