Monday, January 28, 2013

Vangi Cathcart 1-28-13

Vangi Cathcart, 
 resident Sumi-e Artist
 featured in  February. 

Opening Reception
Friday, 6-8
at the Joyful Jewel


   The Years of the Snake

1929, 1941, 1953, 1965, 1977, 1989, 2001, 2013

Snakes, they don’t make me joyful. When I was younger I could not even look at them in a picture. As a child we had a huge dictionary that voluntarily would open to a page of snakes and it would give me the creeps. I would slam it shut instantaneously with a high pitched shriek. 

I am a Simi-e Artist, which is painting nature subjects with ink and watercolor on rice paper. Because of my art I am also interested in Asian culture. This interest has led me to follow the Chinese Astrological signs for the birth years. . The last two years I painted and exhibited the rabbit and the dragon on the years 2011 and 2012 at the Joyful Jewel. To celebrate the 2013 Chinese New Year, which is February 10th, I have chosen February to exhibit the first Friday at the Joyful Jewel. 

In keeping with my tradition this 2013 New Year I checked the astrological signs. I  was startled to discover that the Astrological symbol for 2013 is the snake “eeeek”. Oh dear so I have chosen to do the sign of the snake.  Why couldn’t it have been a cute little dog or even and old goat?

Researching the snake, I came across pictures that reminded me of the dictionary in my youth. Ugh. Trying to keep positive I thought of good old Disney, keep it light comical. Also when I reminisce about the east I think about painting mystical snakes. Well I managed to come up with 7 snakes I could handle, “Yikes not literally.”

Won’t you face your fears or tickle your fancy and join me for an early Chinese new year celebration. Come see my version of snakes the First Friday at the Joyful Jewel. Refreshment served? Yes, but I promise you it won’t be snake meat.

Art By Vangi


1 comment:

  1. What a cute snake - cute yet still powerful! Vangi, art calls and you answer, even if you have a fear. It's great to see how you handled this and I can't wait to see the rest of your "Year of the Snake" art!

    ReplyDelete